Wednesday 9 January 2013

Jewel Green Engine Reno - 4


17/9/12 J from Gabba Gearboxes rang to give me the good news. All the synchro rings are stuffed & the cluster gear shaft needs to be rebored but he is unable to locate any synchro rings. So what is one to do? I indicated that I thought I might be able to locate the rings in the UK & I would come in & see him this afternoon to check what is required. I cleaned up the pistons & removed the old rings. The same was done with the clutch cover & plate. I then checked out the Burton’s UK site & located a set of synchro rings for a Type 3 gearbox but I was not sure if these were what were wanted. I also located some piston rings which seemed to be the correct size. Anyway, the next stop was Autobarn at McGregor as they had been very helpful before with all my strange requests. After a bit of ringing around they located a set of piston rings & then a clutch kit. Both of these should supposedly be ready tomorrow. Not bad for a 42 year old engine. They are very helpful. Then I drove over to Gabba Gearboxes & they explained what had to be done. All a bit more expensive that I thought but isn’t that always the case?  In fact, it will cost me my allowance for the next three years! The synchro rings should be correct so I have ordered them & after paying a fair bit for postage they should arrive in 3-4 days. We shall see but that means if all the parts are correct I should be able to starting getting it all back together very soon.18/9/12 Today I spent more time cleaning various bits (flywheel, sump, gearbox support) & the main block. With the help of KH, the front oil seal came our fairly easily if you knew where to hit it first. B from Autobarn rang to say that the parts had arrived. That is a very prompt service. They are very good. I picked them up this afternoon but I have not checked them.  J also rang about the gear box & gave more good news about the price of the rebore. Well, the gearbox better be good when it is finished. In fact, it is more expensive than a new Chinese car!24/9/12 Today I fitted the flywheel back on & then started with the clutch. When I took off the old clutch assembly, it was held on by three bolts yet all the books suggest it should have 6 bolts. So I spent a fair bit of time cleaning up the threads where the others went & cleaning the flywheel surface. Gabba Gearboxes also rang to say they had finished the gearbox so I went and collected that & on the way back picked up an oil filter at Repco for $3.50 and some new bolts for the flywheel at Supercheap. I also removed the old clutch bearing & pressed on the new one. The reverse switch is a bit of a worry as there is no way to test it or maybe there is.

26/9/12 Bolted on the head & installed the tappets. I spent a fair bit of time adjusting the clearances & then gave the whole block another spray of black engine paint. I cleaned the exhaust manifold, the engine mounts & the fan. I then sprayed them & attached the fan. Also, I put on the thermostat housing so there is not much more I can reassemble until I get some silver paint. All that new black & silver paint should make it run even better!  Nearly all there & I should have it back together next week & in the car.



 
 The final section (Part 5) is shown in the older posts.






No comments:

Post a Comment