Saturday 19 January 2013

An Intro into my 1970 Capri 1600 Deluxe



I bought the Jewel Green 1970 1600 Deluxe in October 2008 after it was advertised on EBay for 30 minutes. It was a local car (Brisbane) and I was very lucky with the condition of the car. I was also very fortunate that I was able to trace its original owner for 37 yrs. & be given the original sales docket for the car. This was really useful as any official records from the Ford Motor Company result in no knowledge of this vehicle. One of the most difficult things to replace in the restoration was the front right guard. I final sourced a fibreglass one & after several attempts to fit it correctly, you really can’t notice the difference. I was really happy with the new paint job & the colour is great. The complete restoration process is documented in my other blog site and if you want to find out all about my problems, then have a good look at:
Towards the end of last year (2012), I reconditioned the engine & the gearbox. I will document this rebuild later in this blog. I really like driving this car & it is far more fun to drive than the automatic XL. The body is very rigid with no rattles & it is obvious that it has been regularly maintained throughout its lifetime. The one thing that I would like to improve is the brakes and whilst they aren’t bad, they are nowhere near as good as those on the white XL. It is a great club car and I have tried to keep it as original as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment